Does Your Building Require Non-Combustible Cladding?

Do you need non-combustible cladding for your building?

We delve into the hot topic of non-combustible cladding and how to determine what type of construction your building is.

What does Non-Combustible Mean?

Non-combustible simply means that a material does not contribute to a fire.

How do I know if my building requires Non-Combustible Cladding?

The National Construction Code (NCC) sets out the building performance requirements to be met for each type of building. To determine the fire resistance requirements of an element of a building you must know the type of construction – Type A, B or C.

Under the Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions of NCC Volume One, external walls of buildings of Type A and Type B construction must be constructed wholly of materials that are not deemed combustible as determined by testing in accordance with AS 1530.1.

Therefore, external wall cladding in Type A and Type B constructions must be non-combustible under a Deemed-to-Satisfy Solution unless a concession, such as C1.12, enables otherwise.

How do I determine if my building is a Type A, B or C Construction?

The Type of Construction is determined based on the Class of the building and its rise in storeys.

Buildings are classed from 1 through to 10 as per the below chart:

NCC 2019 Building Code of Australia - Volume One, Part A6 Building Classification

A matrix is then used to determine the building’s actual Type of Construction. As below, the combination of the Class (or Classification) of the building, its rise in storeys, floor area and volume result in determining the Type of Construction (A, B or C):

This matrix should be used as a general guide only and a Certifier should be consulted to confirm the Type of Construction.

* This information is based on the NCC (National Construction Code of Australia) and does not take into consideration individual state government laws.